Friday, October 3, 2008

six secrets

I was tagged by Lisa, a fellow member of the Etsy Bloggers team. For this one I have to share 6 secrets about me and then tag 5 other bloggers. For this one I think I will dig deep into the way back machine for some grade school secrets.

1. When I was 7, we moved from Long Beach to Island Park. My parents left me at the new house because I wanted to stay there. It was 9pm and the only thing on was the Merv Griffin Show and I found it to be a little dull. But the silence scared me so I decided to go back to our house in Long Beach. I left the new house wearing no shoes and started walking. The road I was walking on was a busy 4 lane road where I had to cross the LIRR tracks and a draw bridge. I made it to the McDonalds in Long Beach when 2 teenage boys noticed me and asked me why I was out so late and where were my shoes. After I told them my story, they called my mom who didn't even realize I had left. They were at the new house and though I had just gone to bed. She came and got me and I was in some trouble.

2. When I was in the 4th grade I skipped school for a week. Both my parents worked and my sister went to a different school than I did at the time. I was busted when my Grandma came over to our house I found me home before school got out. I told her it was a teacher work day but she didn't buy it. I was in trouble again.

3. In the 6th grade I used to sneak off our school campus for lunch. You weren't supposed to leave campus without a note and my parents wouldn't write me one. I wrote myself one in the 5th grade but made the mistake of signing it Linda's Mom. Not one of my better moves and then the school mailed it home to my parents. More trouble for me. So I decided, since the note didn't work, I would just sneak off and no one noticed. So my friends and I would go to Jackie's coffee shop for a burger or grilled cheese and then we would get candy afterwards. Sometimes we would go looking for the coffee truck and just have candy and ice cream for lunch.

4. I didn't like gym much when I was in the 4th grade, I actually got a D in gym that year. I would purposely not wear my sneakers on gym days. One day the gym teacher asked me where were my sneakers. And with a straight face, I told her that my parents couldn't afford to buy me sneakers. I figured I would be off the hook and not have to play. Turns out she called my mother to let her know that if they couldn't afford sneakers for me, then there were programs available to assist us with getting sneakers for me. To say that my mom was horrified is an understatement. And I still had to participate in gym...blech.

5. Growing up, my sister and I spent a lot of time at my Grandma's house. She lived with her parents so I had 2 grandma's growing up. When we would sleep over on the weekends we would go out to the Elk's Club, VFW, American Legion or some bar. It was always fun, we would have our Shirley Temples and just hang out. But even though my parents knew what we were doing with Grandma, my Great Grandma didn't. Grandma would tell her that we were going to a Senior Citizen's meeting. What exactly Grandma told Great Grandma that was I don't know but if she asked me or my sister what we did we were to tell her that we went to Senior Citizens.

6. When I was in the 5th grade, I was having some trouble adjusting. I guess I was under a lot of stress but I don't really remember the details. So my parents decided since I was having such trouble coping that I needed therapy. The dr basically said that I had trouble with anxiety but I wasn't put on medicine. I would go and see her every so often to talk but all of that is even blurry. I suppose I blocked all of that out since it was not a fun time. The one thing I do remember was that I got a Kissing Barbie for Christmas and I brought her to one of my visits. But I wasn't allowed to bring her in with me. So I told my mom don't let my sister play with it and what does she do but let her play with it and to top it all off my sister broke the kisser. I was so mad. And then they wonder why I have stress and anxiety.

For this one I am going to tag Sarah, Lily, Toni, Darcey and Janet

7 comments:

  1. Linda, those are some great stories!!! How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing along and sharing some of your grade school secrets - sounds like you were a bit of a handful, or at least definitely independent!!

    - Lisa (Human Touch Designs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Linda! Looks like you had fun! That is such a bummer about the Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness! Those are great stories! Kind of interesting that the first three stories involve running away or leaving a place you were supposed to be! lol Thanks for tagging me. I'll have to think on this. I'm sure my secrets will not be this good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those stories Linda - I enjoyed reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, this is an awesome blog entry! Thanks for the tag - I'll complete it tomorrow :) I'd better start thinking now about what I want to share...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying to do this since the weekend! LOL Struggling to come up with my six.

    LOL about you skipping school and trying to get out of gym. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin