Monday, November 10, 2008

fall events

I ran out to get the invitations for my dd's birthday. I know how bad is that that I'm not making them. Then I stopped off for a Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks...so good. Thanks Tina and Jill for posting that the red cups were out. With Christmas about 6 weeks away, I realized that I didn't blog about the fun fall stuff we did last month.

We went to Maize Quest on a Friday in October when the kids were out of school. Since Maize Quest is in Pennsylvania and they had school, I figured it wouldn't be too crowded. Let's just say that a whole bunch of other Maryland moms had the same idea (not to mention the PA kids there on field trips) and that it was a good thing we got there when it opened.

The first thing we did was the huge corn maze. We were in there for over 30 minutes, thank goodness for the maps posted through out the maze. Not sure why my crew has their hands over their hearts. They are probably just thankful we made it out of there without using the help flag, although we did think about using it several times, I was just too stubborn to give in.

Here they are riding the pedal carts around the track, we beat the line so everyone was able to go around twice.





It was a lot of fun going through the different mazes, some were really easy and others were more challenging. At the end the kids went panning for gem stones. You could buy a bag of sand and you were given a screen. Then you went to the water canal and panned for your treasure. Everyone thought that was cool.

On Sunday, it was the last day to pick you own apples and pumpkins at Brown's Orchard. The only apples left to pick were the Stayman Winesap. They were so crisp not too tart or too sweet.



Will this one pass mom's fussy fruit standards?





Why are all the good ones at the top?



We only got half a bushel because I wasn't sure how fast we could eat so many apples. Then we went to the pumpkin patch to cut out own pumpkin.






For next year, I am making a new rule that small children need to be able to carry their own pumpkins. Since Amanda chose her pumpkin first, she made 2 trips to the car since we still had the apples to carry back too, which was a big help.





We had a good time and the farm is huge this is only part of it. There are many different orchards, in addition the the 10 or so varieties of apples, they grow cherries, peaches and pears. They also grow berries, so we will definitely go back in the spring.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great October was had by all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your fall farm pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous time!! I love the pumpkin photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you go to the pumpkin patch in Colorado with me and the little girls - or was that Terry? I'm going to have to dig through those pics now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was probably Terry. I only came out for the summers and winter breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures. Looks like everyone had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda,

    I left you a little something over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mazes, apple orchards and the pumpkin patch...great fall memories. DS even likes the pumpkin patch now that I don't ask him to sit on a big pumpkin for a photo LOL

    Love the "red cup"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos Linda! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute fall pictures! And lucky you with that peppermint mocha - they can be addicting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin