Monday, May 17, 2010

a day at Fort McHenry

Last week, I went with Emily's class to Fort McHenry in Baltimore. I was excited to go because I missed out on going with Amanda's class and I almost missed out on this trip since Andrew had been home sick a few days before.

It was a gorgeous day for the trip too. After we walked through the fort, we then went to watch a short movie on the Battle of Baltimore. We had a picnic lunch just outside of the Historic area and then we watched the kids play before getting back on the bus.

The first photo is the statue of Gen. George Armistead. It is near the Visitor's Center. The park is working on a new and larger Visitor's Center. Maybe that will be finished and I can see it if I am able to go with Andrew in 2 years.


These are some of the buildings inside the fort. Back in 1814 the second floor wasn't there. I found this out because the kids wanted to know what was upstairs and the guide said it is only used for storage and meetings. It most likely will not reopen to the public because it isn't handicap accessible. The park was also working on remodeling some of the exhibits within the buildings.


The flag pole is at the same spot that the flag was in 1814.


And a view of the cannons and the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin