Friday, October 29, 2010

blogger's quilt festival

While blog hopping yesterday, I found this:

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

So I thought it would be fun to join in and share one of the first quilts I made. Which was really a long time ago because we were still living in New York at the time. I had wanted something festive for our new home at Christmas and the sewing bug had hit me. I followed the Around the World pattern and made this quilt in red and green.


The finished size is about 42 inches square, not exactly perfect for a lap blanket as it is a little short for my long legs but the kids have used it when they were younger. A close up of the quilt, the backing is the red holly fabric that I used as the center square. 


If you look closer at the quilt, you can see that I was so new at the quilting process that I didn't even put a proper binding on it. Instead, I sewed it right sides together and turned it right side out and closed it up like a pillow case. I also used red DMC floss to tie the quilting. As time has gone on, I have gotten more confidence in my skills and I can make a binding and I have machine quilted my quilts.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Your colors remind of of the Santa's elves, and the way you closed it puts me in mind of traditional boutis pieces--they fold the raw edges in and stitch them closed, so, in a way, it's a traditional finish. :-)

    Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I am short too so when I make a lap sized quilt for me, it stays mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilt. Nought wrong with pillowturn binding :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    I really like your blog and wondered if you would be up for adding it to a new free blog directory I have started at www.blogitloveit.com

    Hope you will find time to check out Blog It Love It.

    Happy blogging and best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I could not make a quilt if my life depended on it. What a great family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun quilt and love Christmas colors. actually, the way you did the front and back sewn together is called birthing a quilt! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin