Thursday, August 4, 2011

tutorial: embellishing a wood gift bag

Happy Thursday! I thought today would be a good day to share how I made the wood gift bag that I shared last week.


To get started you will need:
  • A wood bag. I purchased mine in the wood section of Micheal's but I have seen them in JoAnn's and AC Moore. They come in different sizes and the size I am using is large.
  • Acrylic Paint by Folk Art, I am using white.
  • Mod Podge, I am using the Matte finish but you can use any of the other finishes.
  • Two 1 inch Foam Brush brushes
  • Sand Paper
  • Dusting cloth
  • Supply of paper and embellishments.


First, you are going to sand all the rough edges of the bag until they are smooth. When you are finished, take the cloth and wipe off all the dust that may be on the piece. Using a foam brush, paint the entire bag white, including the inside. Apply 3 coats of paint, letting each coat dry in between applications.

Chose a piece of 12 x 12 inch paper and cut out the following:
  • 2 pieces measuring: 4 x 3 1/2 inches for the front and back of the bag
  • 2 pieces measuring 1 3/4 x 3 1/2 for the sides of the bag


Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the outside of the bag with the other foam brush. Then apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to each piece of paper and adhere them to the sides of the wood bag. Let dry, then apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the outside of the bag. Let dry and apply one more coat. When the outside of the bag is dry, apply 3 thin coats of Mod Podge to the inside of the bag, letting each coat dry in between applications.


While the bag is drying, you can create an embellishment for the front of your bag. For my embellishment, I punched out a 2 inch scallop circle and adhered different stickers to it.


To adhere my embellishment to the finished and dry bag I used Glue Dots. The bag can be filled with candy or other treats.


Here are 3 more examples of gift bags I have made. In these examples, I used Glitter Mod Podge and did not embellish the front of the bag.

If you have any questions let me know, I am happy to answer them.

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin