Wednesday, October 31, 2012

fall 2012 blogger's quilt festival


My share for the Blogger's Quilt Festival is one of the first and only applique quilt I have done. I made it for Amanda when I was pregnant with Emily, about 14 years ago. I suppose I was nesting in a big way when I decided it would be a good idea to start this quilt. It is about 80 x 100 inches, a little larger than a twin size quilt.

the light is not the greatest, it has been raining here for 3 days.
I created a template and traced and then cut out all the hearts. There are 70 blocks and each block has 4 hearts. There are 4 additional hearts in the corners of the border. Then, I appliqued the hearts to each block using a zig zag stitch on my machine. When I was making the hearts and sewing them on to the blocks, I had no set layout plan in mind so some hearts match and others don't but I still like how it came out.


The quilting is in the ditch. In the border, I quilted some wavy lines which are hard to see.


After 14 years, Amanda still uses this quilt. She likes to wrap herself in it in the winter. I'm also happy to say that the binding has held up well over the years too.

To see more gorgeous and inspiring quilts, come visit the quilt festival at Amy's blog. There are over 500 quilts to admire.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet quilt! And my favorite part is that your daughter still uses it after 14 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! A quilt loved by a child is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a precious quilt and it's not hard to understand why it's so loved

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin